We’ve got a fun craft for you today that you can do with your kids for Mother’s Day gifts, teacher appreciation gifts, or for your very own home! These burlap door hangers are inexpensive, can be as easy or complicated as you’d like to make them, and will certainly be appreciated by anyone receiving them as gifts!
Here’s what you’ll need:
– Burlap fabric
– Clear Acrylic Gesso or Modge Podge (sold at craft stores) or a mixture of equal parts water and glue
– Foam brushes
– Acrylic paint
– Raffia or ribbon for embellishment
– Hot glue gun and hot glue sticks
– Plastic grocery bags
1) To begin, decide on a shape or letter for your door hanger. Fold your burlap in half and draw or trace your shape with a marker or pen and then cut out the shape, making sure you end up with two identical pieces of burlap.
2) Using the gesso, Modge Podge or glue mixture and foam brushes, paint the two burlap pieces. (Kids love this step!) Be sure to put them on top of a piece of cardboard or foil when painting as the glue will seep through the holes. Burlap pieces should become stiff when dry.
3) Paint one of the burlap shapes with acrylic paint when the glue is dry. You can be as simple or as detailed as you’d like in this step and you can give your kids as much freedom as you’d like. Just remember that the imperfections on this craft make it more charming!
4) Once your painted burlap is dry, hot glue around the edges of the two pieces of burlap, pressing them together as you go. Be sure to leave a 6-inch opening for the next step.
5) Cut plastic grocery bags into strips and stuff them into your burlap piece; keep adding pieces until it takes on a 3D appearance. Hot glue the opening and seal shut.
6) Cut a 10-inch piece of wire and stick it through the top of your door hanger, twisting it closed to create a circular shape for hanging. Tie raffia or ribbon to one side of the hanger for added decoration.
Are you planning any crafts for Mother’s Day this year? Do you have a favorite handmade gift from a previous year?
Happy Backyards™ sells and installs only the safest and highest quality residential playground equipment, basketball goals, and trampolines for your own home. We are a local company and have been doing it for 15 years with a focus on quality products, quality service, and competitive low pricing.
We are currently in stock on a majority of our products, but there are some products that are out of stock for longer periods. Please check with our store before any swing set, hoop, or trampoline purchase online. If you are LOCATED OUT OF STATE and looking to purchase, PLEASE call the store for availability and to make sure we can deliver to your area.
Also due to the overwhelming requests for our products, We are currently running 2-4 weeks for installation depending on the product purchased. We do have a lot in stock for pickup and self installation if you need it quicker.
Please shop early this holiday season due to increased volumes and shipping delays and labor shortage the time frames will only increase. Please call 615-595-5565 to check availability before purchasing. Thank you for your interest in Happy Backyards!